School History

The AMH Dixon School of Nursing is Celebrating Its 100th Anniversary in 2014

The Abington Memorial Hospital Dixon School of Nursing Celebrated Its 100th Anniversary in 2014

The Abington Memorial Hospital School of Nursing was established when the hospital officially opened its doors for service to the community on May 15, 1914. The Abington Memorial Hospital School of Nursing had nine students and two faculty members. The course offered was two years in duration and afforded excellent practical and theoretical instruction. The first class was graduated in 1916.

alumni_02

The Abington Memorial Hospital School of Nursing was located in Abington, Pennsylvania until March of 1993, when it moved to its present location in the Pennwood Building on the Schilling Campus. This satellite campus is approximately four miles north of the Hospital’s main campus.

The nation’s nursing shortage prompted Abington Memorial Hospital to establish a $20 million dollar initiative to respond to the need to educate, hire, and retain nurses. Fitz Eugene Dixon, Jr. spearheaded this initiative with a five million dollar donation specific to the School. In honor of Mr. Dixon’s mother, Eleanor Widener Dixon and his wife, Edith Robb Dixon the school was renamed the Abington Memorial Hospital Dixon School of Nursing in May 2001.

Since 1914, the Abington Memorial Hospital Dixon School of Nursing has graduated 4,039 students who have gone on to serve the local community and beyond as professional nurses.

Congratulations to our Class of 1960! Over 50 years as Nurses.